When is Face Lifting Unsafe?
There may be many reasons why undergoing a face lift would be dangerous or ill-advised. The most commonly reversible causes include medications that interfere with normal blood clotting mechanisms, have interactions with anesthetic agents, or impair healing. Such contraindications are usually not problematic, in that most patients can temporarily suspend the use of these substances prior to face lift surgery. More serious reasons not to undergo a face lift include health problems such as coronary artery disease, pulmonary disease, etc. Such disorders significantly increase the chances for adverse outcomes, especially with the use of general anesthesia. In addition certain connective tissue disorders may pose relative and some even absolute contraindications for rhytidectomy or face lift surgery. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome aka Cutis Hyperelastica, Cutis Laxa, Pseudoxanthoma Elasticum, Progeria aka Hutchinson-Gilford Syndrome, Adu1t Progeria aka Werner’s Syndrome, Meretoja Syndrome, Idiopathic Skin Laxity.
If you need to take something for relief of minor pain, you may take Tylenol™.
Understanding Safety Considerations
Face lifting, or rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure aimed at rejuvenating the appearance of the face. While generally safe, there are circumstances when face lifting may be considered unsafe or carry increased risks. It is important to be aware of these factors to make informed decisions regarding your cosmetic goals.
Health Conditions and Pre-Existing Factors
- Underlying Health Conditions: Certain health conditions may increase the risks associated with face lifting. Patients with uncontrolled hypertension, bleeding disorders, or compromised immune systems may not be suitable candidates for the procedure.
- Smoking: Smoking can impair the healing process and increase the risk of complications after face lifting. It is generally recommended to quit smoking before considering any surgical procedure to promote better outcomes.
- Medications: Some medications, such as blood thinners, can interfere with the body’s clotting ability. It is crucial to disclose all medications, including over-the-counter drugs and supplements, to your surgeon to assess their impact on the safety of the procedure.
Unrealistic Expectations and Mental Health Considerations
- Unrealistic Expectations: Face lifting can provide significant improvements in appearance, but it is important to have realistic expectations. Patients with unrealistic expectations may be dissatisfied with the results, leading to psychological distress.
- Mental Health Concerns: Patients with underlying mental health conditions, such as body dysmorphia or unrealistic self-perception, may not be suitable candidates for face lifting. It is essential to discuss any mental health concerns openly with your surgeon to ensure your well-being and satisfaction with the procedure.
Surgical Risks and Complications That Makes Face Lifting Unsafe
- General Surgical Risks: As with any surgical procedure, face lifting carries inherent risks. These risks include bleeding, infection, adverse reactions to anesthesia, scarring, and poor wound healing. Your surgeon will discuss these risks with you and take appropriate measures to minimize them.
- Poor General Health: Individuals with poor overall health or those who are medically unfit for surgery may face increased risks during face lifting. Pre-operative assessments help determine a patient’s suitability for the procedure.
Individual Consultation and Professional Advice
Each individual is unique, and face lifting safety considerations can vary depending on specific circumstances. It is essential to consult with a qualified plastic surgeon who can evaluate your medical history, discuss your goals, and provide personalized advice on the safety of face lifting for you.
By understanding the potential risks, considering your health status, and discussing your expectations with a trusted professional, you can make an informed decision regarding the safety and appropriateness of face lifting as a cosmetic procedure. Remember, the primary goal is to achieve optimal results while prioritizing your overall well-being.
Check out our gallery of before and after images for face lift: https://www.fineryou.com/before-after-galleries/face-lift/